Thursday, October 28, 2010

I may be ready to commit to fall, but Florida isn't.

How we Floridians are doing fall:
It's the end of October and it's sweltering. What?? Just two weeks ago I was waking up to a brisk 68. It was like a tease: I broke out my fall wardrobe only to have the hopes of scarves and tights dashed to bits by a quick return to the 90s.

Shirt: thrifted
Cardigan: thrifted
Shorts: Target
Boots: Charlotte Russe

This is what I wore yesterday afternoon to help out at the youth group Alice attends. Note how I went right on ahead with my boots and cardigan, even if I had to pair them with shorts so I wouldn't suffocate.

This is also what I *wish* I could wear to work. It's so freakin suffocating in our classroom sometimes, especially after Phys Ed, when the kids are panting and smelly and thinking that now is a great time to hug Miss Kelly, since they haven't seen me for a whole 45 minutes.

And speaking of the little darlings... today they somehow drew me into a conversation about the proper age for getting married now versus colonial times. (We were learning about how women were 'shipped' to American colonies to marry.) I should have known the stinkers would try to head the conversation in a more personal direction... I discovered awhile ago that my status as 'young and single' is quite a novelty for them. Anyway, after a couple minutes, I was asked the inevitable "Why aren't you married yet?"

Surprisingly, I didn't have to answer this one, because my little know-it-all-tag-along yelled out "Girls don't marry young anymore unless they're having a baby, and Miss Kelly isn't having a baby," which of course caused them all to stare at my tummy like a kid might pop out at any second.

And then I turned around and saw the school administrator had stepped into the classroom unawares.

Glorious.

1 comment:

Dirt On The Rocks said...

i love the casual outfit. cali is finally getting a bit cooler and windy, and i am glad that we can wear the fall outfits now. i've been waiting myself to bust out with some cute fall outfits. i love what you're wearing it's casual and just laid back. i love the boots very, very cute.

also i don't see why women have to marry young. i mean the idea seems nice to find true love at young age, but i think at our generation women are more career minded. there's nothing wrong with not wanting to get married at such a yougn age.